Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Article in Cedar Park Magazine

I enjoyed your article in the Cedar Park magazine and hope that through articles like this more people will realize they do not have to be socially correct in the wine they choose and should drink what they like.  I have echoed that sentiment and practiced it as well for many years and periodically people who knew that I drink wine often would ask about why I had red wine with fish or whatever and my comment would be I drink what I like.
I live on a cul de sac and have mostly younger people for neighbors, they have been drinking wine for a much shorter time than I and they ask me about this wine or that wine.  I tell them that I am a wine expert on only one thing and that is that I know what I like.  Wine is like art, in that it is individual and there are few definitive good or bad but different with each taste bud.
I do struggle with defining tastes with my wines.  I have participated in numerous wine tastings in Napa and the surrounding areas of California and no matter how hard I try to focus on the tastes that the “experts” talk about I have difficulty in identifying them.  However, I keep on trying and enjoying the wines.

I look forward to your future articles

Bob Bowker

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bob,
    Thank you for your kind words! I am so happy you enjoyed the article and more importantly that you took the time to contact me!
    Timing is everything!
    My next article is based on the definitions the “experts” use in, defining a wine’s flavor, aroma and body. How interesting it is that you struggle with the topic of my next article? It has already been submitted however, your comments have enlightened me to share even more information.
    A suggestion to overcome your challenge:
    Search for one specific flavor at a time. Wines can be like a bouquet of flowers and hold an array of scents (flavors). Focus on the first flavor that comes to mind.
    Remember the importance of using 4 of your senses when experiencing a wine. And keep track of your findings in a notebook. Keep in mind that the sense of smell (aroma), taste (complexity), sight (color) and even touch (body) are all personal findings.
    Even your lifestyle effects your taste buds. Ask yourself these questions: Do you consume salty or sweet foods? Do you smoke? Do you drink plenty of water? By simply changing your diet or your lifestyle you can change the outcome of what your taste buds react to.

    Release the flavor! Go with it! Don’t get caught up in “experts” interpretation, instead learn more about yourself and more importantly, enjoy one sip at a time.

    Look for the full story in the next edition!

    Sincerely,
    Sheryl Hawkinson

    ReplyDelete